Citywide Services Directory
Public Information: The South Seas House has stood in the Historic West Adams District for more than 100 years. Originally Built in 1902 by Los Angeles music patron Joseph DuPuy, the two-story house is a combination of several styles-- Victorian, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival and Craftsman, to name a few. The house has intrigued generations with its sharply peaked Polynesian-style gables (unlike any other constructed in that era), arroyo stone pillars, clapboard outer walls and triangular attic vents. Experts say it was one of Los Angeles' first tropical-themed houses, the precursor to the exotically eclectic architecture of the 1920s.
Joseph Dupuy died in 1922 and over the next 50 years a succession of owners took care of the house. In the 1970's however, the City of Los Angeles purchased the home for a street widening project that fell through. By the 1990's the house was empty except for squatters who vandalized the place and scavenged everything from doorknobs to banisters.
The South Seas House was brought back to life through the efforts of local community members after years of neglect and the doors were re-opened in June of 2003. It is operated by the City of Los Angeles, Department of Recreation and Parks and has been revitalized as a recreation and community center and serves the community with programs for both children and adults. While it is not your typical recreation center, we do offer Day camp programs, computer classes, after school programs, tutoring and small private functions.