To facilitate the attainment of the quantitative goals set forth to correct under-representation of girls in youth sports programs, the Department has outlined several actions to undertake. These actions or qualitative goals are designed to aid in increasing the number of girls in Department programs and removing artificial barriers.
- Research additional program information on the expansion of girls' programs and comparative information on youth sports participation.
- Complete the sports statistics reports form and begin its use at all recreation facilities.
- Factor the potential for growth of youth sports into the physical needs assessment reports at all recreation facilities.
- Develop performance standards.
- Recruit, cultivate and train women, especially mothers and care givers, as coaches, officials, team supporters, fund raisers, or other roles in sports programs. This element will require both improved marketing and also training for recreation directors, particularly to learn culture and generational sensitivities and how to moderate them.
- Review girls sports programs offered at all the centers and add or redistribute programming within each recreation marketing district to ensure a broad availability of opportunities.
- Improve coaching quality for girls sports.