This model RS-12 diesel-electric road switcher
and a sister locomotive were built by the
Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton Corporation in April 1955, for the McCloud River
Railroad in Northern
California, and were originally numbered 32 and 33. The locomotives
were designed for multiple-unit operation and equipped with dynamic
braking equipment to assist in train handling on this
mountainous logging railroad.
In June, 1969, both locomotives were sold to
the Chrome Crankshaft Company and subsequently resold in September 1970
to the California Western Railroad (CWR), in Fort Bragg on the California
Coast and renumbered 55 and 56. Both saw passenger and freight service
on the CWR. In time,
No. 55 became inoperable and was cannibalized for parts to keep No.
56 running. By 1992, No. 56
had been relegated to yard switching service.
CWR No. 56 along with many spare parts, came to the
Travel Town Collection for preservation and operation in Travel Town's
own proposed railroad through Griffith Park to the Los Angeles Zoo,
as the Crystal Springs & Cahuenga Valley Railroad.