"A CONTINUOUS COMMITMENT TO GIRLS AND WOMEN IN SPORTS"
It is the Department's hope that all youth may aspire to and have the opportunity to participate in Department sports programs that meet their interests and capabilities.
GENDER EQUITY POLICY
It is the policy of the Department of Recreation and Parks to achieve gender equity in youth sports programs run by the Department facilities.
The Department's policy is:
- To encourage the participation of youth in sports and recreation programs and to provide opportunities to youth for recreation
- To address under-representation in sports programs where one gender or another is not adequately represented.
- To improve the representation of females assigned to the administration of sports and recreation programs.
- To improve the representation of females on the Citywide and Regional Sports Boards.
- To increase the number of female coaches, referees, instructors, mentors and other role models.
- To ensure the Department is equitable in its distribution of resources for all youth.
- To ensure regular reporting and monitoring of the Department's progress towards meeting its objectives.
The purposes of the Department of Recreation and Park's Gender Equity Program are to:
- Involve more girls in sports and recreation programs in the City by undertaking measures to encourage their participation and by providing opportunities for participation.
- Improve the representation of girls and women in sports programs where they are not adequately represented.
- Ensure the Department is equitable in its distribution of resources for all youth sports.
- Subsidize participation where economic barriers exist.